Dental bleaching, or teeth whitening, is a straight-forward and non-invasive cosmetic dentistry treatment that can help you achieve your dream smile.
Teeth can become discoloured for several reasons, but what you eat and drink are by far the biggest factors affecting changes in tooth colour. Certain food and drinks such as coffee, red wine, curries and soy sauce can leave behind chemical compounds which stain your teeth and as well as being bad for your health smoking can also cause severe discolouration.
Brushing your teeth twice a day can help keep your teeth looking clean and remove residual food or drink stains, but it is natural for teeth to lose their white colour over time, no matter how well you look after them.
Before & After
Boutique Whitening is a premium quality whitening gel that delivers superior results, sometimes with a noticeable improvement in just a few days. It uses trays and gel, to gently whiten your teeth, over a period of a couple of weeks. This is the safest and most evidenced-based method of whitening your teeth. You simply wear the trays with the gel for 2 to 4 hours.
What are the trays?
We recommend the use of our premium quality whitening trays to complement our premium quality whitening gel.
It is never advisable to manufacture your own whitening trays – it is impossible to recreate the quality obtainable from a dedicated laboratory team.
- Our trays are rigid enough to contain the gel, but flexible enough to offer maximum comfort.
- We carve the gingival margins to ensure a tight seal, which prevents the leakage of gel, and ingress of saliva.
- A ‘hot-dot’ on each tooth serves as a dosing tool. Simply fill this dimple with gel, no more, and the kit will last for several weeks to give optimum results.
- You must be over 18 to start whitening.
- If pregnant or breast feeding, we cannot do teeth whitening.
- Teeth Whitening does not whiten crowns or bridges, or implants, or fillings, or dentures.
- Therefore you must consider whether starting a course of whitening would mean other areas of dental work may be needed after.
- Whitening can cause transient sensitivity, and most people manage with this, however, only a few will find that their teeth are too sensitive to whiten. We cannot make any refunds if you cannot whiten your teeth because of sensitivity.
- Whitening gel that gets on the gum area can irritate the gum and cause redness of the gum and sometimes even whitening of the gum area. This is transient, and goes after about a day. The dosing dot, and following the advised instructions of use will help prevent this.
- Please note if you have white speckles on your teeth from fluorosis or from hypoplasia of enamel, these areas can show up more after whitening.
After your assessment appointments where we take impressions of your teeth it may take up to 2 weeks to see you again to give you your whitening trays. It is at this visit you can collect your trays and whitening kit, and we can show you how to whiten your teeth. You can then begin your whitening at home that day or night.
Your teeth will always look their best after a top-up of whitening. This depends on you.
Most of the time, we would recommend a quick top-up a few days before a big event, like a wedding, or party, or if you’re just planning to go out for the weekend. Just doing a top-up the day before going out is a nice feeling, and can give great results. Aside from this, a quick top-up every 6 months is also a good idea. Once you have started whitening with us you can order a 4 gel Boutique Top-up kit.
Whitening can be sensitive to some, and this is transient during the whitening phase. Everybody has a different experience of sensitivity, and we have protocols and tips to help with this.
Whitening does not harm the teeth in any way. There is no damage to tooth structure, or strength with whitening. The whitening gel that we use complies with European standards, and we always recommend only whitening your teeth with a dental professional.
Whitening only works on your natural tooth. It does not whiten crowns or fillings, or implants or bridges. You can still use whitening over your composite bonding, to help brighten these and to keep the margins white, however, generally it doesn’t whiten these. If you are thinking about whitening your teeth, you need to consider whether any fillings or crowns will stand out following whitening, and plan to have these replaced.
If you have faint or obvious white spots on your teeth, these may show up even more following whitening. White spots and flecks on teeth may be caused by mottling in the past, from fluoride, or from trauma to the baby teeth. Your teeth can still be whitened, but please note that these faint or obvious white spots will become whiter, and show up more. The best way is to still whiten your teeth, and either accept the appearance of these white spots, or to plan for these to be treated with Composite Bonding.
There is always a saturation point and a limit to how white Teeth Whitening can get your teeth.
After a course of whitening, our partner dentist can review your results and see if any further treatment is recommended. In cases where Composite Bonding is required after whitening, our partner dentist can match or even enhance the whitening result as they use a range of high-quality composite resin materials and also stock the whitest of composite resin materials available, these include the super bright range.
Our partner dentist also has aesthetic and natural looking composites too to get the result that’s right for you. We do not use a shade guide to measure whitening, as these are inaccurate and subjective. Instead we use photography and artistic judgment as well as feedback to help gauge what is right for you.
We always aim to make you happy by providing the best products as such as Boutique Whitening; we also use the best in techniques, we have learnt how to deliver quality in results in our protocol, and service in looking after you. However, we can never guarantee a result with whitening. It is very rare for there to be no result; however, a few cases may need extra whitening gels, and may take longer to whiten. Extra whitening gel can be supplied at additional cost. Often in cases of tooth wear or in older patients, whitening may not be as effective, however this may not always be the case and often we still get great results in these difficult cases. In severe cases of tetracycline staining, sometimes whitening can take months, and even after that, supplemental treatments may be indicated.
WHITENING TOP TIPS
Here are some top tips for when you’re whitening
- Choose a set time every day, this can help with consistency.
- Brush your teeth with a sensitive toothpaste and Floss before whitening.
- Only use a small amount of gel for each tooth you want to whiten (half a grain of rice).
- Don’t use gel on your back teeth where no one can see, use on front surface of teeth.
- Use only light pressure on the gel syringes, and keep the tip close to the tray.
- Do not eat or drink while you have your trays in.
- “Day” whitening – just wear the trays for 1 – 2 hours.
- “Night” whitening – wear the trays overnight while you sleep.
- After whitening, rinse your mouth, and rinse the whitening trays with cold water.
- Store the trays in your box.
- Store the whitening gels somewhere cold and dry and away from children.
- If sensitive, you can skip a day, but try to be as consistent as possible.
- If sensitive, you can try squeezing a little sensitive toothpaste in the whitening trays and wear this for 30 mins ( I personally do this after my whitening, but it can make the trays a bit messy).
- Reduce tea, coffee, curries, red wine, and smoking, a good way to help you give up.
- Don’t expect instant results, some people notice immediate change, some take a week or 2.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Different lighting and your own perception of the whitening can be difficult to judge so trust the process and keep at it.
- Come back for review where we can compare photos.
- We can’t guarantee results, but there’s no better way of whitening your teeth than professional tooth whitening with gels and trays.
It is important to understand that dental bleaching is not a permanent treatment. While you will start to see a difference in your smile within just a few short weeks, you will need to keep up with treatments to maintain the effect. If you were to stop your treatments, even after you had achieved the desired level of whitening, your teeth will start to gradually become discoloured again.
As with all the services we provide at Simply Skin Medical Aesthetics, your care does not stop when your treatment is complete. The superior aftercare we provide focuses on making sure that your treatment is successful and the results are long lasting.
To keep your smile white and bright, we can provide you with refill kits for your whitening treatments. Each refill kit is an additional price to your initial treatment and can be ordered in singles or packs of 2 or 3 to suit your needs and budget.
Boutique By Day £250.00
Boutique – By Day is a 6% hydrogen peroxide gel, containing potassium nitrate which is a proven desensitiser. Worn for only one hour per day, this gel is designed for patients who want a fast, comfortable and convenient solution to whiter teeth. This gel releases large quantities of oxygen free radicals (which whiten the teeth) over a short period of time, therefore whitening the teeth, both quickly and safely. Fast results, which are visible in less than a week.
This includes our premium quality whitening trays.
Boutique By Night £250.00
Boutique- By Night is a carbamide peroxide gel available in a 10% or 16%, containing potassium nitrate, which is proven desensitiser. Worn for 4 hours, or overnight, this gel is designed for patients who would prefer to not have their custom trays in during the day and would prefer to whiten whilst they are asleep. This gel releases oxygen free radicals (which whiten the teeth) over a longer period of time, due to its sustained release. This gradual approach will still give fantastic results, due the length of time the gel stays active.
This includes our premium quality whitening trays.
Boutique Refills £25.00
We stock a range of Boutique refills, both Boutique By Day and Boutique By Night are available as individual syringes, packs of 2 and packs of 3.
Priced per syringe.
Ready to book your next treatment?
Apply for finance